Series: Seeker #1
Published by Random House Children's Books on 2015-02-10
Genres: Action & Adventure, Friendship, Science Fiction, Social Issues, Young Adult
Buy on Amazon
Quin Kincaid has been put through years of brutal training for what she thinks is the noble purpose of becoming a revered ‘Seeker’.
Only when it’s too late does she discover she will be using her new-found knowledge and training to become an assassin. Quin's new role will take her around the globe, from a remote estate in Scotland to a bustling, futuristic Hong Kong where the past she thought she had escaped will finally catch up with her.
I guess you all have seen the buzz about this book – it was hard to miss, it was nearly everywhere. I was so intrigued by the story, the cover and truly excited about, what it seemed, to be a great mixture of genres and elements! So here are my Top 4 Reasons what makes this story stand out – and my Top 4 Reasons where Seeker got me confused!
Top 4 Reasons that make Seeker so buzz worthy!
1.This amazing mixture of genres. Initially I thought it would be YA Fantasy, but it’s actually a colourful blend of Fantasy and SciFi that truly creates an unique combination of elements.
2. An very original way of storytelling. The story is divided into several parts and what I found quite intriguing is that the characters change so much from one part to the other. This is of course due to a few dire circumstances that makes this switch in personalities understandable. It’s not very often you encounter so much character development in just one book.
3. Setting! We start in Scotland where the story has more of a fantasy like feel, as they live very secluded and away from modern cities. And then, in the next part we find ourselves in a future version of Hong Kong. And I always love when a book takes me places instead of being stationary.
4. Crazingly surprising twists. Seriously the book takes turn that I promise you won’t ever expect and it does it more than once! Starting with the romance (not saying more!!) and character personalities but also secrets that make your head turn!
Top 4 Reasons where Seeker got me confused!
1. Shift in Character Personalities. While I think it was a very unique way to approach character development (see my Reason 2 above) I also had some problems with it. Quin was quite bad ass in the first part and then completely lost this strong personality for a while and it was slightly confusing. It felt like she was a completely different person. Later one, we had the old Quin back. Same with both boys and especially John had me completely confused and I don’t really know what#s up with him!
2. Lack of explanations! With a first book you need to set ground rules and explain a few things. For instance you might wish to know what a Seeker is right? Well, I did too – but it was never satisfyingly explained!!!
3. John… Initially I liked John and saw him as a poor boy who was treated wrong and who was fighting for his family. But then, I did so many stupid things that didn’t make sense to me at all. Take this as an example: He was fighting his friends because he thought he was in his rights to do so, yet he claimed he never wanted to hurt them but arrived with a small army of heavily armed people. Well, that was a guarantee for people to get hurt right? Also, then he even let one of his soldiers bring the one (!!) most horrible weapon John himself is so scared of and can destroy a human completely. Why would you do this if you wouldn’t want to hurt your people?
4. Romance. The romance completely led us the wrong way, which normally I would like as I love surprises and turns, but here? The romance didn’t resonate with me…
Seeker has also much potential to be truly awesome yet was sadly lacking in world building and explanations that the reader would need to fully engage in this story. Even though the story was told in a very interesting and unique way, it made it very hard to connect and understand the characters. I’m still very interested to see where this series is going!
Saw all the buzz about Seeker? Have you read it ? Are you planing to read it?
Latest posts by Danny (see all)
- INTENSITY by Sherrilyn Kenyon – Excerpt & Giveaway - September 8, 2017
- Locked in Temptation – Q&A withBrenda Jackson & Giveaway - August 4, 2017
- Locked in Temptation by Brenda Jackson – Exclusive Excerpt & Giveaway - July 26, 2017