Participating in Blog Tours gernaly make me utterly excited. But… when I was asked to join the Siege and Storm Blog Tour I was actually gasping for air.. and then.. when Leigh send over the Guest Post I was freaking out about this epicnesss!
(I kind of like to exaggerate in case you didn’t know.. but in this case it’s the truth! .. )
Today, we have some amazing Character Introductions for you which will get people excited who haven’t read Shadow and Bone yet (seriously?) and also for those who are such epic fans like us!!
Name: The Darkling
True name: Unknown. For now.
Most frequently found wearing: Black and only black
Occupation: Leader of the Second Army
Skills: Summoning darkness to blind his enemies, using darkness to slice his enemies in half (the Cut), generally doing bad things to his enemies. He’s also a living amplifier—his power can be used to strengthen the power of other Grisha.
Likes: Giving orders.
Dislikes: Taking orders.
Inspired by Flagg, Raistlin, Jareth the Goblin King
Frequent fancasts: Sean O’Pry, Ezra Miller, Ian Somerhalder, Shiloh Fernandez
“The problem with wanting is that it makes us weak.”
Comment from Leigh Bardugo
The biggest challenge in writing the Darkling is that he reveals so little of himself. I have to walk a line between the information he chooses to disclose, and the secrets people like Alina guess at based on his behavior. But I also love writing him for the very same reasons: He’s a creature of extraordinary power and nearly perfect control. I like trying to make the reader wonder which cracks in that control are real and which are feigned.
Photo Credit, image above: Ardawling
Name: Zoya Nazyalensky
Most frequently found wearing: Blue and silver
Line of Work: Squaller (Etherealnik)
Skills: The ability to raise or lower the pressure in the air to create and direct currents and storms
Likes: Being the best
Dislikes: Upstart peasants
Frequent Fancasts: Katie McGrath, Megan Fox, Phoebe Tonkin
“I find the lower classes have a certain rough appeal.”
Comment from Leigh Bardugo
It would be easy to hate Zoya. She’s snide and snobby and too hung up on status. But I like her because she doesn’t play nice. She isn’t interested in accommodating people or putting herself out for anyone. Also, her loyalties are based on power and principle, not affection. Zoya starts out as a typical mean girl, but nothing in Ravka is ever quite what it seems.
Photo Credit above: Chantalle
Most Frequently found wearing: a kefta of indeterminate color
Line of Work: Teacher at the Little Palace
Skills: Baghra is an amplifier of extraordinary power, the nature of her specific Grisha gift has long been forgotten
Likes: A warm stove, whacking students with her stick
Dislikes: The cold, whiners
Frequent Fancasts: Helena Bonham Carter, Judi Dench, Meryl Streep
“And there’s nothing wrong with being a lizard either. Unless you were born to be a hawk.”
Comment from Leigh Bardugo
I always imagined Baghra as a particularly vicious ballet teacher. Better than anyone, she knows what the stakes are when it comes to war and she drives the Grisha relentlessly in their training. She can be a challenge to write because I’m always tempted to soften her, but I believe her moments of kindness or even seeming kindness should be hard won.
Photo Credit above: Kyra
Photo Credit: Yoonona
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Darkness never dies.
Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
Find Leigh Bardugo
Siege and Storm Blog Tour Schedule
Official Blog Tour Page at MacTeen Books
- Monday 5/20 Novel Sounds
- Tuesday 5/21 Supernatural Snark
- Wednesday 5/22 Bewitched Bookworms
- Thursday 5/23 YA Sisterhood
- Friday 5/24 Cuddlebuggery
- Saturday 5/25 BookYA Review
- Sunday 5/26 YA Romantics
- Monday 5/27 Icey Books
- Tuesday 5/28 Tales of a Ravenous Reader
- Wednesday 5/29 The Book Monsters
- Thursday 5/30 Two Chicks on Books
- Friday 5/31 Birth of a New Witch
- Saturday 6/1 Into the Hall of Books
- Sunday 6/2 Fic Fare
- Monday 6/3 Mundie Moms
- Tuesday 6/4 Moonlight Book Reviews
Siege and Storm Trailer
Links and Info
- Leigh Bardugo will be on tour in June as part of the Fierce Reads Tour. Get all the info/dates
- Siege and Storm is featured in our Spring 2013 Fierce Reads Book Trailer:
- Listen and download Leigh Bardugo’s song, “Winter Prayer”. Yes, we said SONG!
- Pre-order a copy of Siege and Storm (hardcover or e-book), submit your receipt, and we’ll send you a specially-branded nail polish! Details:
- Download and read for FREE the first five chapters of Siege and Storm on your e-reader:
- Become a fan of The Grisha Trilogy on Facebook:
- -The fan page includes chapter excerpts, polls, and giveaways!
- Follow Leigh Bardugo on Twitter:
- Follow Leigh on Tumblr
And now, thanks to Macmillan I have an awesome Giveaway for you guys! One lucky one can win a Paperback copy of Shadow and Bon plus a shiny Hardcover of Siege and Storm. Giveaway is US/CAN only. Just enter the Rafflecopter below and Good Luck!!
Much Darkling Love,
Latest posts by Danny (see all)
- Pre-Squee about… The Maze Runner – The Movie Trailer with a Giveaway - August 27, 2014
- Pre-Squee about… I’ll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios - August 20, 2014
- 5 Survival Tips From Drill Sergeant Stamm & Giveaway – Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley - August 19, 2014